Monday 15 April 2013

Reflection!


So we meet again for the final time. I hope you have enjoyed my entire blog and also hope you use the different forms of mobility available in our city. I must say that I have learnt so much about mobility while doing this blog from the different literature I have researched. Now that this blog is completed I can reflect on the trials and tribulations I faced in acquiring these pictures. There were numerous times where I had to hide and take pictures as commuters didn’t like the idea of being photographed. When I started this blog some months ago I thought to myself “where am I going to get 10 different topics to put in my blog?” However as time progressed I realized how simple it was as I myself use different forms of mobility to get around the city, whether it be walking, maxi taxi, using my bicycle and driving. Also, while doing my entry on “Buses” I took the bus for the first time. It was a great experience for me. This last post I will discuss the relationship of my core theme “Mobility in the City” to three of my fellow classmates blogs.

My fellow classmate Shanice Mitchell also did a blog with respect to mobility in the city, to be more specific the city of San Fernando. On scrolling through Shanice’s blog, I was really amazed to see the different perspective she took with respect to mobility. Her blog entry entitled “Giddy up Horsey” really caught my attention. Here I am thinking about mobility in the form of man’s technology example cars,  buses etc but there are different forms also, natural forms in the use of the horse. I am sure we have seen those old western movies where the cowboys are riding horses from one city to another. This is the link to her post http://mobilityinsanfernando.blogspot.com/2013/04/giddy-up-horsey.html.  Also another aspect to Shanice’s blog that slipped me when I was doing my entry’s was the use of motor bicycles as a form of mobility. This was indeed a good blog entry as motor bikes are becoming more and more prevalent in society. With increasing traffic, persons are looking for faster ways to get through the traffic and the motor bike is the solution. The name of her entry on motor bikes is “Motorcycle : In with the new” and this is true, motorcycles are the new way of mobility in Trinidad. http://mobilityinsanfernando.blogspot.com/2013/04/motorcycle-in-with-new.html. One final thing to be noted from Shanice’s blog is that we both had similar ideas in that we both used the use of maxi taxis and bicycles (just to name a few) as ways persons get around in the city. This was interesting as we both did different entries at different times but yet still we have similar ideas on forms of mobility. Here is a link to her entry on bicycles.http://mobilityinsanfernando.blogspot.com/2013/04/bicycle-out-with-old.html

 My next classmate I looked at was Tabeeta Dwarika. Her blog entry spoke entitled Decentralization: Good or Bad? Spoke about the benefits of decentralization in  that it reduces traffic congestion. In my 10th blog entry I spoke about the problems that persons face daily due to traffic congestion. In order to solve the traffic congestion my main focus was on the reduction on car based mobility and the increase of alternative forms of mobility, I suggested the use of the water taxi, mass transport, bicycles and encouraged persons to walk more rather than use their cars. Tabeeta’s blog entry on decentralization really intrigued me as decentralization never came to my mind as an option to reduce traffic congestion in the city. Now thinking about it, this is probably the main way to reduce traffic. Yes using different forms of mobility will help the situation reduce traffic in the city, but when there are thousands of persons heading the same direction at the same time, there is little using alternative forms of mobility can do to reduce traffic congestion. .You can check out Tabeeta's blog entry on decentralization here http://urbangeographer8.blogspot.com/2013/04/decentralization-good-or-bad_14.htm. In addition, Tabeeta’s blog main theme was “Unsustainability in the City.” In my opinion, the high percentage of cars as a form of mobility is one of the main factors contributing to unsustainability in the city.


For my next comparison, I looked at Christopher Mohip’s blog. Mr. Mohip’s blog was focused on the “ Social Nightlife in an Urban World.” In his blog he spoke in great detail about the night life that exists in an urban city. You may ask how can his blog on “Social Nightlife in an Urban World” be related to my blog on “Mobility in the City”. Well this is simple, whether it be you are going to get a burger or punch in St. James or going to a night club in Port- of- Spain you have to use a form of mobility to get there. So you may drive to Zen or take a maxi to the Avenue or walk around St James looking for the burger cart with the least number of persons, the point is you need forms of mobility to experience the night life as Mr. Mohip speaks about in his blog. With respect to one specific blog entry by Christopher, “Employment in Urban Nightlife” I found this particular post interesting. He spoke about maxi taxi owners having a shuttle service where they pick up and drop  UWI students to and from popular night clubs such as Zen at late hours in the night. I found this  interesting as why after working whole day would a maxi owner now risk working a shuttle service in the dangerous nighttime? Then I realized some of the problems maxi taxi owners have. In recent time PTSC has increased the number of buses there are on the bus route. This increase in the number of buses means that there will be fewer passengers using maxis. This coupled with the fact that the government has allowed all students in school uniform and persons over 60 years of age to have free access on the bus has made life as a maxi taxi operator difficult. This may be one of the reasons that maxi owners have shuttle services for UWI students to night clubs. These drivers are now finding ways to make an extra form of income in light of some of the challenges they face. You can check out Christopher’s blog entry on “Employment in Urban Nightlife” http://socialnightlifetnt.blogspot.com/2013/04/employment-in-urban-nightlife.html#comment-form

I thank you for viewing my blog on "Mobility in the City" and till we meet again keep safe 
Avinash Narine

No comments:

Post a Comment